What occurs throughout a group B strep exam?
If you are expecting, your wellbeing care company may perhaps order a swab exam or a urine exam.
For a swab exam, you will lie on your back on an exam table. Your wellbeing care company will use a
tiny cotton swab to get a sample of cells and fluids from your vagina and rectum.
For a urine exam, you will most very likely be advised to use the “cleanse catch process” to be certain your sample is sterile. It contains the next measures.
- Clean your fingers.
- Cleanse your genital place with a cleansing pad specified to you by your company. To cleanse, open your labia and wipe from front to back.
- Get started to urinate into the bathroom.
- Go the selection container underneath your urine stream.
- Gather at least an ounce or two of urine into the container, which must have markings to point out the amounts.
- Finish urinating into the bathroom.
- Return the sample container as instructed by your wellbeing care company.
If your newborn needs screening, a company may perhaps do a blood exam or a spinal tap.
For a blood exam, a wellbeing care specialist will use a tiny needle to get a blood sample from your baby’s heel. Just after the needle is inserted, a tiny total of blood will be gathered into a exam tube or vial. Your newborn may perhaps truly feel a small sting when the needle goes in or out.
A spinal tap, also known as a lumbar puncture, is a exam that collects and looks at spinal fluid, the clear liquid that surrounds the mind and spinal wire. Through the technique:
- A nurse or other wellbeing care company will maintain your newborn in a curled-up posture.
- A wellbeing care company will cleanse your baby’s back and inject an anesthetic into the pores and skin, so your newborn won’t truly feel suffering throughout the technique. The company may perhaps set a numbing cream on your baby’s back prior to this injection.
- The company may perhaps also give your newborn a sedative and/or suffering reliever to enable him or her much better tolerate the technique.
- As soon as the place on the back is entirely numb, your company will insert a slim, hollow needle amongst two vertebrae in the lessen backbone. Vertebrae are the tiny backbones that make up the backbone.
- The company will withdraw a tiny total of cerebrospinal fluid for screening. This will get about five minutes.