Rheumatoid arthritis: Does pregnancy have an effect on signs and symptoms?
Rheumatoid arthritis signs and symptoms usually subside for the duration of pregnancy.
By Mayo Clinic Staff members
Numerous ladies with rheumatoid arthritis, a problem in which your immune procedure mistakenly assaults your body’s tissues, report enhancement in their signs and symptoms for the duration of pregnancy. Numerous also report a flare-up of signs and symptoms after childbirth, generally inside of the very first three months.
Researchers are finding out why these changes come about. Mainly because ladies are more probable than men to create rheumatoid arthritis, a single concept is that female sex hormones, estrogen and progesterone, participate in a part.
But ladies who choose medicines that contains estrogen — as component of their oral contraceptive or hormone substitution treatment for menopause — generally you should not have any modify in their rheumatoid arthritis signs and symptoms.
During pregnancy, the mother’s immune procedure changes to avert the rejection of the fetus. Researchers are finding out no matter if these changes might be linked to an enhancement in rheumatoid arthritis signs and symptoms.Could 20, 2020
- Handout on overall health: Rheumatoid arthritis. Nationwide Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Conditions. http://www.niams.nih.gov/overall health_data/Rheumatic_Disorder/default.asp. Accessed March six, 2017.
- Bermas BL. Rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/property. Accessed March six, 2017.
- Pregnancy and rheumatic condition. American School of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Affected individual-Caregiver/Conditions-Problems/Dwelling-Very well-with-Rheumatic-Disorder/Pregnancy-Rheumatic-Disorder. Accessed March six, 2017.
- Ince-Askan H, et al. Pregnancy and rheumatoid arthritis. Most effective Exercise & Analysis Clinical Rheumatology. 201529:580.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. Facilities for Disorder Management and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/rheumatoid.htm. Accessed March six, 2017.
See more In-depth