What is hemoglobin electrophoresis?
Hemoglobin is a protein in your crimson blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to the relaxation of your physique. There are numerous distinct styles of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin electrophoresis is a take a look at that steps the distinct styles of hemoglobin in the blood. It also appears to be like for irregular styles of hemoglobin.
Ordinary styles of hemoglobin involve:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) A, the most common style of hemoglobin in healthy adults
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) F, fetal hemoglobin. This style of hemoglobin is observed in unborn babies and newborns. HgbF is replaced by HgbA shortly immediately after delivery.
If ranges of HgbA or HgbF are as well significant or as well reduced, it can point out selected styles of anemia.
Abnormal styles of hemoglobin involve:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) S. This style of hemoglobin is observed in sickle cell sickness. Sickle cell sickness is an inherited condition that causes the physique to make rigid, sickle-shaped crimson blood cells. Wholesome crimson blood cells are flexible so they can shift very easily by means of blood vessels. Sickle cells can get trapped in the blood vessels, causing intense and continual agony, bacterial infections, and other problems.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) C. This style of hemoglobin does not carry oxygen perfectly. It can cause a delicate kind of anemia.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) E. This style of hemoglobin is generally observed in individuals of Southeast Asian descent. Individuals with HgbE typically have no signs or symptoms or delicate signs or symptoms of anemia.
A hemoglobin electrophoresis take a look at applies an electrical present-day to a blood sample. This separates regular and irregular styles of hemoglobin. Each style of hemoglobin can then be measured independently.
Other names: Hb electrophoresis, hemoglobin evaluation, hemoglobinopathy evaluation, hemoglobin fractionation, Hb ELP, sickle cell monitor