Erectile dysfunction: Nonoral solutions
Oral remedies aren’t the only way to handle erectile dysfunction. Know the entire range of treatment choices and how they get the job done.
By Mayo Clinic Team
If you have erectile dysfunction and are not able to choose specific oral remedies or if oral solutions aren’t effective, you have other treatment choices.
Fully grasp why you might select a nonoral treatment for erectile dysfunction and how these distinctive solutions get the job done.
When oral remedies might not be safe and sound
Not all gentlemen can properly choose erectile dysfunction oral remedies, this sort of as sildenafil (Viagra), vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn), tadalafil (Cialis) and avanafil (Stendra). Prescription drugs for erectile dysfunction might not get the job done or might be unsafe if you:
- Consider nitrate prescription drugs commonly recommended for upper body discomfort (angina)
- Have incredibly reduced blood force (hypotension) or uncontrolled high blood force (hypertension)
- Have severe liver illness
- Have kidney illness that calls for dialysis
Some gentlemen might also select a further treatment choice to steer clear of the aspect consequences caused by specific oral remedies.
Other types of remedies
Nonoral remedies for erectile dysfunction contain:
Self-injections. Quite a few remedies are commonly injected specifically into the penis to obtain an erection. The most often utilised remedies contain alprostadil, papaverine, and phentolamine. With this strategy, you use a wonderful needle to inject the remedies into the foundation or aspect of your penis.
The aim of injection therapies is to produce an erection that lasts about twenty to 40 minutes. If an erection lasts for a longer time than just one hour, you will need to have to have the medicine or dose modified to steer clear of probably extended-expression problems. Due to the fact the needle utilised is incredibly wonderful, discomfort from the injection web page is generally small.
Facet consequences can contain bleeding from the injection, prolonged erection (priapism) and development of fibrous tissue within just the penis or at the injection web page.
Alprostadil urethral suppository. Alprostadil intraurethral (Muse) treatment will involve putting a very small alprostadil suppository inside of your penis in the penile urethra. You use a exclusive applicator to insert the suppository into your penile urethra.
The erection generally starts off within just ten minutes and lasts among 30 and 60 minutes. Facet consequences can contain discomfort, small bleeding in the urethra and development of fibrous tissue inside of your penis.
Testosterone substitution. Some gentlemen have erectile dysfunction that might be sophisticated by reduced concentrations of the hormone testosterone. In this circumstance, testosterone substitution treatment might be suggested as the initially stage.
Testosterone substitution treatment can be sent by using injection, patch, gel, gum and cheek (buccal cavity), intranasal, subcutaneous pellet, or oral medicine. Talk to your medical doctor about your personalized preference and the possible aspect consequences.
Penis pumps, surgery and implants
If remedies aren’t effective or appropriate in your circumstance, your medical doctor might suggest a distinctive treatment. Other solutions contain:
Penis pumps. A penis pump (vacuum erection system) is a hollow tube with a hand-run or battery-run pump. The tube is placed around your penis, and then the pump is utilised to suck out the air inside of the tube. This results in a vacuum that pulls blood into your penis.
When you get an erection, you slip a tension ring around the foundation of your penis to maintain in the blood and preserve it company. You then eliminate the vacuum system.
The erection typically lasts extended more than enough for a pair to have sexual intercourse. You eliminate the tension ring immediately after intercourse. Bruising of the penis is a possible aspect impact, and ejaculation will be limited by the band. Your penis might experience chilly to the contact.
If a penis pump is a great treatment choice for you, your medical doctor might suggest or prescribe a distinct product.
Penile implants. This treatment will involve surgically putting gadgets into the two sides of the penis. These implants consist of both inflatable or semirigid rods. Inflatable gadgets allow you to manage when and how extended you have an erection. The semirigid rods preserve your penis company but bendable.
Penile implants are generally not suggested until other procedures have been experimented with initially. Implants have a high diploma of gratification between gentlemen who have experimented with and failed extra-conservative therapies. As with any surgery, there is certainly a chance of problems, this sort of as an infection.
- Blood vessel surgery. Almost never, erectile dysfunction is taken care of by bypassing obstructed penile arteries. This is unusual, nonetheless, and is only suggested in a smaller proportion of gentlemen.
Battery-run penis pump for erectile dysfunction
Battery-run penis pump for erectile dysfunction
A penis pump is utilised to attract blood into the penis to make an erection. You then place a rubber ring around the foundation of the penis to manage the erection.
If your erectile dysfunction is caused by strain, anxiety or despair — or the condition is producing strain and partnership tension — your medical doctor might counsel that you, or you and your lover, go to a psychologist or counselor.
Never ignore the underlying lead to
Obtaining suitable treatment for the underlying lead to of erectile dysfunction might support stop similar health complications and strengthen sexual operate. Ailments that can lead to or worsen erectile dysfunction contain:
- Coronary heart illness
- Being overweight
- Psychological challenges
- Alcoholism and other varieties of substance abuse
- Tobacco use
If you have erectile dysfunction, you might be not by itself — and you have numerous treatment choices. Work with your medical doctor to uncover which erectile dysfunction treatment might get the job done best for you.
July 02, 2021
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Evaluation and administration of erectile dysfunction. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April five, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Erectile dysfunction. In: Ferri’s Medical Advisor 2019. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Overview of male sexual dysfunction. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/look for. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Khera M, et al. Treatment of male sexual dysfunction. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/look for. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Schwartz BG, et al. Drug interactions with phosphodiesterase-five inhibitors utilised for the treatment of erectile dysfunction or pulmonary hypertension. Circulation. 2010122:88.
- Erectile dysfunction. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-details/urologic-health conditions/erectile-dysfunction. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
- Lazarou S. Surgical treatment of erectile dysfunction. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/look for. Accessed May perhaps 28, 2019.
See extra In-depth