These medicines are normally used to handle superior blood stress when other remedies haven’t worked.
By Mayo Clinic Staff
Beta blockers, also recognised as beta-adrenergic blocking agents, are remedies that minimize blood stress. Beta blockers work by blocking the effects of the hormone epinephrine, also recognised as adrenaline.
Beta blockers trigger the heart to beat more slowly and gradually and with much less drive, which lowers blood stress. Beta blockers also help widen veins and arteries to make improvements to blood movement.
Examples of beta blockers
Some beta blockers generally have an impact on the heart, whilst some others have an impact on both equally the heart and blood vessels. Your physician will choose which beta blocker is ideal for you based mostly on your well being conditions.
Examples of beta blockers taken by mouth include:
- Atenolol (Tenormin)
- Bisoprolol (Zebeta)
- Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- Nadolol (Corgard)
- Nebivolol (Bystolic)
- Propranolol (Inderal, InnoPran XL)
When beta blockers are used
Beta blockers are not recommended as a first procedure in individuals who have only superior blood stress. Beta blockers are not normally approved for superior blood stress until other remedies, this sort of as diuretics, haven’t worked nicely. Also, a physician may prescribe a beta blocker as one particular of a number of remedies to reduced blood stress.
Beta blockers may not work as effectively for black individuals and older individuals, specifically when taken without other blood stress remedies.
Beta blockers are used to avoid, handle or make improvements to indications in individuals who have:
- Irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Heart failure
- Chest suffering (angina)
- Heart assaults
- Specific sorts of tremors
Your physician may prescribe beta blockers along with other remedies.
Frequent side effects of beta blockers can include:
- Cold palms or toes
- Body weight acquire
A lot less prevalent side effects include:
- Shortness of breath
- Trouble sleeping
Beta blockers generally are not used in individuals with bronchial asthma for the reason that of considerations that the treatment may cause serious bronchial asthma assaults.
In individuals who have diabetes, beta blockers may block indications of very low blood sugar, this sort of as speedy heartbeat. It is important to verify your blood sugar regularly if you have diabetes and you’re taking a beta blocker.
Beta blockers can also have an impact on cholesterol and triglyceride stages. They can trigger a slight rise in triglycerides, a type of fat in the blood, and a modest decrease in very good cholesterol, or superior-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. These variations normally are temporary.
You should not abruptly cease taking a beta blocker for the reason that doing so could maximize your danger of a heart attack or other heart issue.
Aug. 13, 2021
- Kinds of blood stress remedies. American Heart Association. https://www.heart.org/en/well being-subjects/superior-blood-stress/variations-you-can-make-to-control-superior-blood-stress/sorts-of-blood-stress-remedies. Accessed July fourteen, 2021.
- Argulian E, et al. Misconceptions and points about beta-blockers. The American Journal of Medicine. 2019 doi:ten.1016/j.amjmed.2019.01.039.
- Whelton PK, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and administration of superior blood stress in grown ups: A report of the American School of Cardiology/American Heart Association Endeavor Drive on Scientific Apply Pointers. Hypertension. 201871:e13.
- Mann JFE. Option of drug treatment in key (crucial) hypertension. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed June 28, 2019.
- Sidawy AN, et al., eds. Atherosclerotic danger variables: Hypertension. In: Rutherford’s Vascular Surgical procedure and Endovascular Treatment. ninth ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 28, 2019.
- Bloch MJ, et al. Antihypertensive medicines and lipids. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed July fourteen, 2021.
See more In-depth